The metal fabricator started working on the dingy davits and outboard hoist while I started to knock out some of my projects. I sanded the bottom and applied a couple coats of anti-fouling paint. Then I replaced the exhaust elbow, exhaust hose and replaced the manual head with an electric one. I was going to replace the lifelines with some Suncor lifelines from Sailrite, but I talked to the rigger at Sailcraft and he was able to swage some lifelines for about the same price. He also gave the standing rigging a once over and said it all looked like it had another couple years left in it. We had to remain at the boatyard for a few days after I was done with my work so the davits could be completed. Good work takes time.
Once Starjewel was put back in the water Lisa and I were getting ready to motor back to Pecan Grove and were letting the engine run for a bit before we took off. We had been having some problems with the fuel system. It would sputter out, then I'd bleed it and it would work fine. However, this time the engine ran for about 15 minutes then died and could not be revived. I started diagnosing the fuel system and the engine guy came to see if we were ready to go. When he realized I was having some issues he jumped onboard and helped me troubleshoot it. Turns out the fuel pump had been going bad for some time. He replaced it for me with one from his shop, bled the lines and we were up and running. When the old fuel pump was pulled the diaphragm wouldn't budge. It was seized up for some reason and wouldn't pump any fuel. Good thing it happened tied to the dock of a boatyard rather than in the middle of a turn on the ICW.
It was hot most of the time since the boat wasn't in the water. Many trips to the hardware store or West Marine were in dire "need", but I'm glad it's all done now. It's a good feeling knowing the boat is ready to go for the summer.
List of projects completed:
Added arch and dingy davits
Moved lifeline gate
Resealed all deck hardware
Removed state registration numbers
Polish and waxed deck and topsides
Replaced manual head with electric head
Added inline strainer for head
Replaced all sanitation hoses
Replaced exhaust elbow
Replaced all exhaust hose
Replaced fuel pump
Oiled all wood inside
Cleaned all cushion covers
You can checkout the video of part 2 of our haulout here.